8 Qualities to Look for In A Family Lawyer
Have you recently split from your partner?
As much as anyone would like things to run smoothly from here, there will be complications, especially if you are in dispute with your ex about how to split the property or who will take care of the children.
Marriage separations are never easy and family law is a complex area of law.
It is therefore so important that you choose the right family lawyer who will work rigorously to achieve your goals and make sure your rights are protected!
How do I know if I should be seeking legal advice?
Seeking legal advice if you have just separated from your partner will always be in your best interest.
You need to make sure you know what your rights are, what you are entitled to, and that your children are properly protected.
The following red flags should suggest to you that you would greatly benefit from seeking legal advice from a family lawyer:
- If your ex has hired a family lawyer.
- If you have any children.
- If you have any property or assets.
- If you feel that you deserve more but can’t negotiate a better deal with your ex.
- If you feel that you are being bullied into accepting a deal.
- If there has been any domestic violence.
- If you were living in a de facto relationship with your ex-partner.
Choosing the right family lawyer
If you are planning on choosing a family lawyer to represent you in your marriage separation, there are many things to look for.
It would be in your best interest to speak to at least three prospective family lawyers you wish to engage with and determine if they possess the following qualities:
- They demonstrate a strong interest in your unique situation and objectives
- They take time out to listen to you and communicate with you in a timely and transparent manner
- They demonstrate a strong capacity to provide to you individualised service
- They demonstrate strong knowledge in family law and are open about how they plan on building your case
- They are results driven – which means they are striving to achieve the best outcome for you without wasting your time or money
- They are regularly reviewing with you the progress of your matter and are keeping you updated as to any new options or strategies which may become available during the case
- They are easily accessible and contact can be made with them at your convenience
- They are clear and transparent about their fees and disbursements from the start, and will provide you with a Costs Agreement detailing the breakdown and estimate of their costs.
You make your decision after engaging with the family lawyer who has all the above eight qualities.
You need to choose a family lawyer that you are confident in. You need to trust them that they will get the job done.
Family lawyers after all are here to help you. They should ease the pressure off you and instil confidence in you rather than add more stress to your already difficult situation.
T: 1300 287 911